Sunday, April 12, 2009

Black Bean Brownies . . . .


. . . really!
If you've been following along, you might remember that I said for this week I had something "interesting". I had to try them . . . almost all of the reviews I read raved about them. Brownies made with a can of black beans! Yep - that's it!

One box of brownie mix and one can of black beans. I used a Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge brownie mix. Drain one can of black beans (appx. 15 oz, can), and refill can not quite all the way with water. Blend in a food processor until smooth and add to a bowl contianing the brownie mix. Don't follow the directions - meaning don't add water, oil or the egg. I did, though, add walnuts . Stir until everything is incorporated. Bake in an 8x8 inch pan for 50 minutes at 325 degrees, and voila!

Very tall brownies, moist and sort of fudge-y, and no taste of beans!

Then I tried one from a Splenda cook book and wasn't quite as thrilled. They were very short, maybe half an inch tall. I didn't care for the taste of the Splenda, but if the choice was to do without of eat one, I for sure eat one. Let's see what Jane thinks . . . .
** Taster's Follow Up **
The sugar-free Splenda brownies got 2 thumbs up! After thinking about this, though, I wonder if the cocoa I used has sugar in it? Does all Dutched cocoa? Hmmmmm . . . this in my mind would make them not sugar free. More research needed.
The other batch was very well received, too, and no one has complained about any bean flavor. "Moist", "chewy", and "fudgey" were the comments I heard. No "other" sounds noted, either .
I had debated about telling people there were beans in the recipe, but I decided to mention it (note: it did not seem to stop anyone from tryng them!) - and it was a good thing. One taster said it causes gout to flare-up. I am really glad I came clean with the ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me feedback!